Saturday, May 30, 2009

And so it begins...

Hey, you know that "dark fantasy with almost horror-ish undertones"?

I'm writing it. It's tentatively titled "The Dollmaker," and I'm 3318 words in - and that's before I've done any real plotting on the thing (which I hope to work on over the weekend). Up until now I've just been typing out scenes as they occurred to me and playing around a bit with character ideas and motivations.

Seriously, though, I've been getting some good stuff. And, despite having a horrible, disgusting sinus infection plaguing my respiratory system, I was really quite productive today. I had a net gain of around two thousand words on Dollmaker, and I went through a two-hour long character workshop in which I got some really excellent character sketches for another story.

I also did some "story spirals" last night and got a lot of okay bits mixed with some truly excellent material, including a fleshed out, thoughtful, and somewhat whimsical idea for a novel - maybe a children's novel, maybe something more adult. And that's all I think I'm going to say for now. I should explain what a "story spiral" is in a later post sometime; I think it's something I'll be using when I'm low on ideas (...which, lately, is never, but you never know).

Expect more info on the Dollmaker project later. For now, sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment