Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An Update

I'm still outlining - my schedule got away from me a little bit, so I'm not quite finished (but of course outlining is never really finished, per se).

I'm also trying, rather desperately, not to let myself go back and edit everything I've already done. This shooting through to the end thing is not what I'm used to, and it's HARD. But I know it's necessary, and I have to do it if I ever want to complete anything, ever, in my life, so I'll push through to the end. I just wish I could somehow lock up all previously worked on files until the end of July, to keep my pesky editor-brain from poking at them.

2 comments:

  1. *poke poke*

    So you're writing this for a certain thing with a deadline and a minimum/maximum word count? I'm confused, even though I think you explained it over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing it for an e-zine that isn't operational yet (http://rebeltales.com/). Holly Lisle, who's going to be running it, has said things about wanting to start it this year, and since I don't know exactly when, I figured I'd make The Dollmaker a summer project to be completed by the end of August. Which means the writing bit needs to be done by the end of July, so I can give myself a month or so for revision.

    There's a pretty wide word count range accepted - anywhere from 4,000 to 90,000 words. But since the e-zine seems like it will be publishing more shorter stories than longer stories (since the longer stories will have to be spread over more issues, I guess), and it never seemed to me like The Dollmaker was going to be very long anyway, I gave myself a 40,000 word estimate for the project. This is just an estimate; it might be longer. But the point I was trying to make in this post is that, no matter what the length, I want to speed through the writing of it as quickly as I can, WITHOUT stopping to edit. Not that I'm going to be rushing the writing, but all I'm going to do is write - no editing. Not yet.

    Does that make it clearer?

    ReplyDelete