Thursday, December 4, 2008

He or she who climbs highest risks falling, but sees more of the world than anyone else.

This is me.

My name is writerofbooks. Or Marvel, or Chelsea. Whichever you prefer.

I do what my name suggests. I write books. I have written books since I was eight. None of them have ever been finished, but you get my drift. I'm a novel writer; I don't really know how to write anything else. And I don't know how not to write.

I started this blog because... well, my old one didn't get updated a lot, I've moved on to other projects (whereas that one was focused mainly on just one), and I think my writing, as well as my approach to it, has matured a lot in the past several months. Plus I needed a new name.

Bit of background on me: I'm seventeen. I daydream a lot. I am snarky. I am obsessive-compulsive in a lot of ways. I read a lot. I have recently made myself get back into the rhythm of writing after a much too long hiatus. (This woman has a writing course called How to Think Sideways: Career Survival School for Writers that's gotten me back into the motions again, THANK GOD.)

Basically, I'm a normal person with Issues (who doesn't have some these days?) trying to get through Life (yes, the capitals are necessary). And I am a writer. Of books. I write all kinds of things, though my favorite genre is easily fantasy. I'm between projects right now (this How to Think Sideways course is a tentative step in the right direction, and I'm trying not to mess it up by doing too much at once), but I've got some things in the works: an urban fantasy set in futuristic New York city, a high fantasy quartet that I've decided to set aside for now, a contemporary fantasy, a contemporary novel (NOT fantasy) about an old man and a young boy, a dark fantasy with almost horror-ish undertones, a children's fantasy (if you could call it that - I have a penchant for angst and drama that I'm not quite sure fits into the children's fantasy genre), yet ANOTHER fantasy novel that I'm pretty excited about but which is remaining a secret for now, and a... really weird book about lemurs and a girl and a river and a boy. Because my subconscious is totally a ring-tailed lemur. No, I assure you, you don't want to know.

So, what this blog is going to be about.

Um.

Writing, to begin with. There's a reason it's called Writer of Books. Speaking of books, I might occasionally post my thoughts on things I read here, but I wouldn't count on it being too often. I'm not looking to be a book reviewer (though I am on goodreads, if anyone's interested). Above all, it'll be about writing, and probably a bit about observations I make in my daily life, too. Of these there are many, and few ever make it to paper. I think that should probably be changed. Though these observations will be personal, I'm not going to talk a whole lot about my personal life, otherwise. After all, who wants to hear me ramble about what I had for breakfast this morning and how my sister is sooooo annoying oh my gosh? Not to mention that there's not a whole lot of privacy here in cyberspace.

So. Expect: rambling (about writing, life observations, and the occasional book). Do NOT expect: personal information and useless facts about my everyday life that have no particular meaning whatsoever, and are boring.

Later.

- Marvel/Chelsea

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of good subjects. The part about "who wants to hear me ramble about what I had for breakfast this morning and how my sister is sooooo annoying oh my gosh?" keeps making me laugh. Every time I look at it. I don't know why.
    Maybe because I hear you ramble on about that (only "sister" can be replaced with "mom," "dad," your aunt, a person who's name begins with J, or the entire population (the people you actually like excluded, of course). :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized I used bad punctuation in my last comment and never ended my interjected-with-parenthesis sentence. Do forgive me. Ahh! And I used the wrong kind of "who's"! It should have been "whose." Ugh. I'm hyper and can't type, apparently.

    ReplyDelete